Do you also think that a good proposal with an average solution is better than a bad proposal with a great solution? What does it take to create a great proposal? a winning proposal; that makes everybody win. Is it an art, science or both? Does it involve a bit of Maths too?
- Write a brilliant, short and crisp executive summary
- Understand customer, their requirements, their industry
- Understand customer’s customers
- What are their problems, goals, drivers, stock and competitors
- What is their decision criteria and measure of success for this project?
- Not too much of text, put some creative work to create graphics and tables
- Size matters; is your proposal too long or too short? How will you measure?
- Keeps readers in mind while writing content, highlight important stuff
- What are you proposing? should be very evident
- Why are you proposing? should be very convincing
- How will you make if happen? explain in steps; 1,2,3…
- How will transition work? What do you need from the customer?
- When?, What gets done? and how?
- How will we manage it? ( You + Customer + Others ). R&R/RACI
- Customer’s current assets/inventory? What are you proposing? in numbers, tables.
- How does it translate? How does it scale?
- What are various units? Give threshold numbers, max numbers.
- Any estimates? approximates?
- Results of tests, demos, PoCs & evidence with references
My favorite question that i never pause to ask is – “What do we know about the client and opportunity that none of our competitors will know?”
What’s yours favorite question?